Virgo Ecclesia Facta - The Virgin Made Church
The best study on Mary in St. Francis
The Presence of Mary in the Crucifix of San Damiano and in the Office of the Passion of St. Francis of Assisi
An in-depth scholarly study of the presence of Mary in the vocation, spirituality, thought and work of St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi. Point of departure for this study is the Crucifix of San Damiano and the Office of the Passion composed by St. Francis in the framework of his famous Marian antiphon. Thoroughly documented, with exhaustive bibliography, this study shows how totally Marian St. Francis is and how Marian he intended his Order and movement to be in order to "repair the Church". Praised by Pope John Paul II as the best Mariological study published in 1998.
"Fr. Johannes Schneider's 'Virgo Ecclesia Facta: The Presence of Mary in the Crucifix of San Damiano and in the Office of the Passion of St. Francis' is a very thorough, yet very readable study. Originally published in German and subsequently in Italian translation, This study deals with the Marian dimension of the vocation of St. Francis in the Saint's encounter with the Crucified Savior before the Crucifix in the Church of San Damiano. This is a study which the late Pope John Paul II personally praised on the occasion of awarding Fr. Shneider, the medal of the Pontifical Academies for the best doctoral study published on mary in 1998."
- Fr. Peter Damian Fehlner, STD
You will learn from this book
- An in-depth explanation of the symbolism of San Damiano Crucifix
- An understanding of the history and spirituality of medieval sacred art
- A profound Marian spirituality in St. Francis of Assisi
- An in-depth study of St. Francis Marian antiphon for the Office of the Passion
- Trinitarian dimension of the life of St. Francis based on Mary's relationship with the Trinity
- In-depth expose of Mary's presence in the psalms of St. Francis' Office of the Passion
Product ID: AIB-VEF010, 443pp, laminated softcover